Smart water meters, both AMI and AMR, after a slow start are taking off in the water sector. The smart share in total revenue has increased from 22% in 2012 to 41% in 2018, and the share of C&I and bulk meters has decreased from 35% to 30%. This does not mean that the C&I sent is in decline, it has grown by 20% during the same period. These trends are plotted with market commentary.
- The market is analysed by meter type with base year 2018 and forecast to 2022 by country by these categories of water meter:
- Residential Billing 15-25 mm
- Prepayment meters
- Sub meters.
- AMI/AMR Meters.
- Apartment/Small Commercial Building Meters……..….. > 25-50 mm.
- ICI Industrial Commercial Institutional Meters ……………. 5-100 mm.
- Bulk Transfer/Custody Transfer Meters…………………..….. ≥ 300 mm.
- Network Management (Non-custodial) Meters……………. ≥ 300 mm.
- National residential meter practices shown by country: volumetric/velocimetric meters, meter class A to D.
- Digitisation and blockchain offer game changing advances in the ability to control resources, manage utility businesses and operate smart networks.
- The growth, composition and legal status of the water supply industries of the major countries outlined. (including small countries with national smart rollouts).
- Europe – France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Spain, Turkey, United Kingdom
- CIS – Russia, Ukraine
- Middle East & Africa – Algeria, Egypt, Morocco, Tunisia, South Africa
- Asia Pacific – Australia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Koera, Malaysia, Philippines, Taiwan, Thailand
- North America – United States, Canada
- Central America – Mexico
- South America – Argentina, Brazil
- Sub-metering is growing in importance – countries, legislation, metering services, vendors.
- Profiles and market shares of the leading water meter vendors, : Elster, Itron, Sensus, Badger, Arad, Neptune, Diehl, Aclara.
- Profiles of sub meter service companies: Techem, ista, Minol Brunata Zenner.
- AMI/AMR vendor technologies profiled: Aclara Star AMI Technology, Sensus FlexNet AMI Technology, Badger Beacon Automated Metering Analytics, Mueller MiNet AMI System, Elster Falcon PR^ and PR& Registers, Itron Choice Connect AMI, Neptune R450 TW AMI, Arad Group Dialog 3G, Kamstrup AMI.
- With many small players, 50,000 in the United States, the water supply industry is fragmented, conservative and risk averse. The utilities are slow to embrace new technology. Smart metering is making most progress in countries with large utilities or management contractors to invest in technology, notably in France. The different country scenarios are outlined.
- Demand drivers in the water meter market are a combination of ever expanding water connections, commercial pressures, water depletion and growing demand for water, flooding and
drought, industrial growth and improving living conditions, and growing awareness of water management. These are driving wider metering coverage and smart metering.
- Smart water metering is taking off, driven by an overriding imperatives, leakage detection, which costs the global industry $39 billion a year in lost revenue The benefits accrue to the utilities
more than to consumers. Customer billing & service, detection of pipe faults, asset management and modelling are also important drivers.
Pages 245, Figures 14, Tables 125